How Do I Play?
The above are a quick summary of the rules of wheelchair rugby in our youth programme, and you can download a copy of the sheet here.
A summary of the rules is also outlined below:
- There are two teams and they play on a basketball court.
- There are 5 players on each team.
- Each half is 8 minutes, so a full match is 16 minutes.
- The team that scores the most tries wins the match.
- You can score a try by carrying the ball over the try line, which is between the two cones at the end of the court.
- When your team have the ball they have to score a try in 40 seconds, otherwise the ball is given to the other team.
- When you have the ball you have to bounce it or pass it in 10 seconds, otherwise the ball is given to the other team.
- You’re allowed to crash into another player’s wheelchair, but only on the front half of the chair.
- You’re not allowed to touch another player or another player’s chair with your hands or arms.
- You’re not allowed to take the ball from a player on the other team.
The full rules of the youth programme game can be downloaded here.